Inexpensive Riches

As well as being a photographer I am a metal smith. This past semester was only my second semester in the metals studio so bare with me! Here is my artist statement:


An on going sense that my work seems to capture is the materialism of main stream america today that goes by the mottos of ‘more is better’ and ‘bigger is better’. I am making 5 very large prong set rings as a series and a pendant that is made up of 5 large prong settings. The rings get larger as the series continues showing a growth in size as time continues and the want for more. The pendant will have a sequence of of stones getting larger as well. Using recycled beads from old chandeliers found in Detroit and brass which looks like gold I am commenting on the fake, destructive and mirage like qualities of living a materialistic life. Most of the symbolism comes from the giant size of the beads which are secured in hand made prong settings. The bead is gaudy and way too large to function. The material the bead is made of is also very fickle, if it is dropped the wrong way it will chip, or even shatter. That is to say how easily broken consumer goods are today, once these items are broken they are thrown away thus adding to the destruction and pollution of our great country and even the world. 
This project also plays with the idea that looks are not what they may seem. This series of rings and pendant like I mentioned before are made from old chandelier beads and brass, which are not the best or most expensive materials but look very expensive and beautiful when properly finished. The beads may look like very large diamonds from far away but are really made from glass. The brass may look like a precious metal but is just a brightly polished brass.These pieces may all be worn together or individually, but the idea is to look as gaudy as possible. When all of the rings and the pendant are worn together one might feel ridiculous, or over dressed but that is exactly the point.  







Please stay tuned for more jewelry from me. I will soon be working on more unconventional jewelry once I master the basics in the hot shop. 

Comments

Popular Posts