Whims & Prelims

This summer has been full of travel and self development. I took a road trip from Los Angeles, CA to Shelton, WA with a few dear friends for the 4th of July. We stopped in a few smaller cities to rest through our cross country trip. There was a little art festival in small town called Trinidad in Northern California. It is near the Redwood Forest. At the art festival I met a wonderful artist named Jill Overbaugh. She creates original pieces and up cycled clothing which she dyes naturally with interesting twists to add design, color and depth. I purchased an up cycled slip she dyed with turmeric, flowers and rusty keys! We pick the point of this story up on my travels back to Michigan.

One of my best friends moved to Colorado this summer. After driving up to Washington, I took a couple days to visit my friend in Colorado. I wore the dress I found in Trinidad out to a couple parties. I also had to snap a couple photos of me wearing the dress by the mountains.



Colorado was a thrill. We tubed down the Boulder Creek. I thought my friend and I were going to die several times. The water was also bone chilling cold because it is melted snow from the mountains. Not only are you swept away with the rush of the water there are large rocks scattered everywhere posing other threats to your body and consciousness. The experience will make you feel more alive than ever. I highly recommend it.

There is no way to describe the majesty of the mountain ridges. The mountains are green with trees and stones burst out of the sides in jagged motions toward the sky. You get a sense of how the surface of the earth moves, how such giants are created. It must be natural to reach upward to the sky while holding onto the earth beneath you digging deeper to keep balance. The summer sun set some of the foliage on fire on the other side of the mountains. You could see smoke in the air and in the clouds. There was also a scent of burnt pine trees in the wind. It smelled really good but when reality sets in about the forest fires it becomes a little eerie.




The Rocky Mountains spoke in languages unknown but I was listening. Every color inspired my art. The elements of nature touched my soul. It was so refreshing to be outside and that high in the atmosphere. Jumping in the Boulder Creek on top of tubing in it changed my life. The strength of the water, the pull of the current, the stillness of the stones, the bubbles rushing across your body, the gushing sound of the water surrounding you. If you have the chance to jump in or go tubing, brush past any fear you might have. Just to do it.



It's always a blessing to hold onto old friends, especially ones like mine from High School. It felt like nothing changed and no time had gone. I am so thankful to have her in my life. These are the moments that I truly cherish and look forward to. These are the times that engrave themselves in your memories forever. These are the things we carry with us as we grow. These are the people you push yourself with.

Challenge yourself.

Live your dreams.

Love yourself.

Your Ambitions are not childish they are magnificent.

Megan LaCroix

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts